The Plot

The Plot

Sunday 15 April 2012

More cold weather

Well we've had frost and hail showers this week which has checked my onions from sets and shallots, today I got some of my show tatties in my NVS Sherine and The Bishop. Hopefully I'll get more in during the coming week.  This year I've gone for a ready mix from Iain Barbour at JBA instead of shredding my own peat and adding fertiliser.  I did however add a little nutrimate to see if that helps me get more even sized tubers. I also reduced the shoots to three per seed potato, this is a first for me as well.  Its now a matter of making sure I get the watering right as I made a few mistakes last year.  I'm hoping to be able to take two dishes to the Scottish branch show at Kelso on the 26th August but there is a lot of growing to be done between now and then. I've also potted on my second sowing of Celery, here's hoping I don't have the same problems as I had with my first batch, where I lost three quarters of the plants. a number of growers on the NVS forum thought my problem sounded like damping off, however having spoken with a former National winner we have concluded I might have been a little rough with them at pricking out stage and spraying with SB invigorator probably was not a good idea.  The 8 plants I've got from my first batch are growing on strongly and I've got clips on them.  I'll get some photos up tomorrow night when I find my camera lead.

2 comments:

  1. hi john good luck with the blog will keep a lookout for updates on it, have also put link for it on our allotment society page as good for other folk too get ideas and tips. all the best billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello john, you are right about the bad weather we are having but i must say that here in pontypool we have not had any bad frost at all to effect any plants that has been put in the garden. As i have said in one of my bloggs i do not put many things in the ground untill the first week of june accept onion sets which are already in and doing well i will be my big onions out in the first week of may providing all is well. Will keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete